play station Will you get the PS5?

ApexMan

mob
Sep 7, 2020
Will you get the PS5 right away when it comes out or will you wait awhile? It's going to be quite expensive I'm sure when it first comes out. My PS4 works great still so I will wait awhile before I get the PS5 or I will skip it and wait for the PS6.
What will you do?

Xman

mob
Sep 7, 2020
I will get it for sure when it comes out. Maybe not right away but I will wait a few months for them to work out all the kinks and such. I will probably wait to see if it goes on sale on Black Friday or something like that.

Justinyc

pro high
Sep 5, 2020
There's still plenty to find out about the PS5's internals, but here's what we know so far:

• GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency) with RDNA 2 architecture
  • CPU: AMD Zen 2-based CPU with 8 cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
  • Memory: 16GB GDDR6, 256-bit interface, 448GB/s bandwidth
  • Storage: Custom 825GB SSD with 5.5GB/s (raw), typical 8-9GB/s (compressed)
  • Expandable storage: NVMe SSD slot, USB HDD support (for PS4 games only)
  • Optical: 4K UHD Blu Ray drive
  • Visuals: Native 4K 120Hz + 8K
  • Audio: Temptest 3D
One of the highlights is the AMD GPU and CPU pairing. We've now learned officially that these will be a combination of eight Zen 2 CPU cores running at 3.5GHz and 36 compute units running at 2.23GHz to handle the graphics. The GPU will be capable of 10.28 TFLOPs.

PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny has also confirmed to Wired that the new hardware is capable of ray tracing. Seen in some of the prettiest PC games around, like Control, Metro Exodus, and Battlefield V, ray tracing is an innovative means of rendering light and shadows.

But since every 'ray' of light has its own simulated source, only now has the power required been viable in a console. In other words, ray tracing is going to make games like Horizon Forbidden West look properly next-gen.

And if that wasn't treat enough for your corneas, there's word of 8K support, too. But when it comes to whether you should choose between the 4K vs 8K consoles, know that 8K won't be a mainstream prospect for some years yet.

Excellent news for PlayStation players is the PS5's solid state drive (SSD) – a long overdue upgrade that PC players have enjoyed for years. Games are claimed to load 19-times faster. And, although the SSD coming in the PS5 is only 825GB, Cerny noted that the faster speeds of the SSD mean developers won't need to duplicate data onto multiple parts games' files, thereby cutting down on wasted space.

Meanwhile, the PS4 Pro is still held back by its ageing mechanical HDD. While the PS4's UI design felt seamless as you could easily pick up a game where you left off from standby or after visiting other apps, you'll eventually be envious of the few loading screens PS5 players will be enjoying. Even if you upgrade the PS4 Pro with an SSD, it won't be able to offer the same bandwidth available in the PS5.

The Pro also doesn't have the 4K Blu Ray player that the PS5 will, nor does it have the option to go disc-drive free like the all-digital PS5 offers.

Cerny also made clear to Wired that the PS5's audio will reach a new "gold standard" thanks to its upgraded audio engine. Sony is using the Tempest 3D audio tech to power the sound experience. It will be capable of handling hundreds of sound sources for impressive spatial audio, so you're going to want to invest in the very best gaming headsets. Cerny did mention that Sony is working on virtual surround sound for speakers as well, though.

Meanwhile, here are the PS4 Pro's specs:

• CPU: eight-core x86-64 AMD Jaguar
  • GPU: AMD Radeon with 4.2 teraflops
  • RAM: 8GB GDDR5
  • Storage: 1TB HDD
The refreshed mid-gen model proved a decent jump on the base PS4: it supports 4K streaming from Amazon and Netflix, but native 4K gaming isn't possible on all titles, and only then at 30fps.

Naturally expect the PS5 to be a healthy power jump over the Pro.

Brent

mob
Sep 7, 2020
I always wait a year or so before I buy any new devices. I learned my mistake from buying a samsung galaxy 7 on release. I don't want to purchase anything at release. Maybe if I was rich and can throw money around, I would totally get one on release. But I think I'm good waiting a year or two.

Reactions: AllGamers

ApexMan

mob
Sep 7, 2020
I always wait a year or so before I buy any new devices. I learned my mistake from buying a samsung galaxy 7 on release. I don't want to purchase anything at release. Maybe if I was rich and can throw money around, I would totally get one on release. But I think I'm good waiting a year or two.

Yes that's true about the money. If I was rich and had money to throw around I would definitely buy it on day one. I'm like you and I usually wait a year or so before I buy the product.

Reactions: iTom

ApexMan

mob
Sep 7, 2020
Nope, I will wait at least 2 years to get it. My ps4 pro is still the beast!

That's good thinking. I usually do the same. Why buy something new if the current item you have still works great? The only reason I can think of is if they stop making games for PS4 or the PS4 breaks.